Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sailors - The 1940s

Jim McRae - US Navy WWII

Yesterday I sat down with a group of local historians to work on an exhibit for the upcoming San Juan County Fair that will introduce the Town of Friday Harbor's upcoming centennial celebration. We looked at some great photos owned by the Historical Museum of Friday Harbor's early years. What was needed were photos of our more recent past, mid to late 20th century. I brought in a few family photos. Here are two Island men who joined the US Navy in the 1940s after Pearl Harbor, my dad, Jim McRae and my uncle Wally Mullis. By the swarthy looks of my dad I'd guess he had already seen the other side of the equator when this photo was taken. He served as a radar man in the South Pacific.

Wally Mullis - US Navy WWII

No comments:

Post a Comment