Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Pig War Islands & Bill Holm


Yet another treasure recently sent to me from my grandfather's library is his autographed copy of David Richardson's Pig War Islands. I've seen this book around forever. It was published in 1971 by Orcas Publishing Company in Eastsound. To my surprise though, upon receiving this edition I noticed for the first time that the book jacket painting is by Bill Holm. Holm is known for his expertise in Native Northwest Coastal Art. My own art history professor at WSU studied under Holm at the University of Washington and any artist, native and non-native alike, struggling to master Northwest Coast styles will be familiar with his definitive work Northwest Coast Indian Art, An Analysis of Form first published in 1965.


Link to: Bill Holm: In Life and Art, a Native Son, Seattle Times Magazine
Link to: Bill Holm Center for the Study of Northwest Coast Art University of Washington's Burke Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment