Saturday, September 8, 2007

Kennewick Man


The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture begins it's second regional tour of Kennewick Man on Trial this month. Discovered in 1996 on the shores of the Columbia River, Kennewick man has been determined to be between 5,650 and 9,510 years old. The exhibit examines controversial issues of law, ethics, science and race that surfaced along with this ancient man of mystery.


Illustration by Joyce Bergen, 1999

Kennewick Man was about 5 feet 9 inches tall, and had a robust, muscular build. At the time of his death, he was between 30 and 50 years of age and had survived a projectile point wound in his right hip that probably made walking difficult. The area of Eastern Washington where he was found was cooler and wetter 9,000 years ago than today, with grasslands and scattered pine forests covering the land. Ancient large bison, elk, deer, fish, freshwater shellfish, and plants were important sources of food.” – Burke Museum

Burke Museum

Thanks to commenter Tara for this book suggestion…

"A great book on the Kennewick Man case and the skeletons relation to contemporary American Indian peoples is Respect for the Ancestors: American Indian Cultural Affiliation in the American West. In it, Dr. Jones argues for a relationship between today's American Indians of the Plateau and the Kennewick Man. It will be interesting to see the museum's take."

3 comments:

  1. Verrrrry interesting! I can't go to each blog to comment, so will post all my comments HERE on this comment. Hokay? Here we go: So WHY did Juan de Fuca get his name changed from Apostolos Valerianos?? I guess its a good thing, tho, 'cuz the "Straits of Apostolos Valerianos" is certainly a mouthful- true! And I do like the quote...when do I get to be Sacagawea??? I'm ready! Yes- I will add your blog to my almost daily blog-reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I did not know about this tour. A great book on the Kennewick Man case and the skeletons relation to contemporary American Indian peoples is Respect for the Ancestors: American Indian Cultural Affiliation in the American West. In it, Dr. Jones argues for a relationship between today's American Indians of the Plateau and the Kennewick Man. It will be interesting to see the museum's take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara,

    Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and comment. From their website I got the impression that the Burke Museum was going to bring up the issues, controversies and questions brought up by Kenniwick Man while not putting forth a particular point of view.

    Yesterday I read quite a bit about the Lummi Healing Poles and thought about the idea of sacred ground. There is a little cemetary on San Juan Island where my Dad and grandparents are buried. It is a very sacred place to me. I would be deeply disturbed if this ground was desicrated. On the other hand, my ancestors come from Britain and I have always been fasinated by the archeologists study of ancient Celtic people whose bodies are found preserved in British bogs. Perhaps the difference is in the distance in both time and space.

    It does make sense to me that Kenniwick man could be an ancestor of the Plateau American Indians.

    Thank you for the book suggestion.

    Peggy Sue

    ReplyDelete