Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Inspired by The Whale Museum

Upper Window in The Whale Museum
(photoshop filtered photo)

When I’m in the process painting requires the same kind of concentrated focus that meditation does. When it is going well the passage of time disappears. The problem is that when I come out of my painting bliss state I realize, Oh shit! It’s past midnight and I never got around to that vicious to-do list that is still drumming its fingers impatiently and snorting.

The paintings I’m working on now are to enter in a juried art show celebrating Friday Harbor’s Centennial next year. They follow the criteria: Subject of the artwork must be within the historic district town limits of Friday Harbor.

Having lived and worked within the historic district of Friday Harbor most of my adult life my inspiration sprang unbidden from my working life. The paintings I’m working on are inspired by the Whale Museum, where I work.

The Whale Museum is in one of Friday Harbor’s historic treasures. The building was originally the Island’s Oddfellows Hall where my Dad was a member. What did they do here to attract all these whale bones? Without becoming a surrealist I’m looking for some of the Oddfellows mystique to come through in the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment