Saturday, January 26, 2008

Caucusing on San Juan Island

San Juan County Democratic Caucus


I’ve served as a San Juan County precinct committee person twice. In 1988, it was easy. We met at the school and went into classrooms with our neighbors (all 8 of them). I read the directions and we chewed it over then unanimously decided on Jesse Jackson.

2004 was a different story. This time I went to planning meetings for months in preparation. Caucus day the school was a madhouse. My neighborhood classroom was packed. I had a special assistant just to do the math. We had 1 Sharpton supporter, 1 Edwards’s supporter, the rest split between Kerry, Dean and Kucinich. Our Edwards supporter was nearly in tears because without 15% there was no chance to be represented by a delegate and she was not willing to swing to another candidate. I was nearly convinced to swing to Edwards myself if we could have rallied the 15%. This is the fun part where each group tries to convince others to join them. The Kerry people were adamant that he was the electable candidate. The Sharpton supporter swung to the Kucinich crowd and eventually so did I. I think our lonely stalwart Edwards supporter may have taken up the mantle of precinct committee person for Friday Harbor 2. If she has she may finally get her chance!

CAUCUS '08
Washington State's Democratic Precinct Caucuses will be held on
Saturday, February 9th, 2008 beginning at 1:00 pm.

link to: San Juan County Democrats

No comments:

Post a Comment