Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hollywood Cave Man Discovers Agriculture

Actor Steven Strait as D'Leh the Mammoth Hunter

I love Cave People Movies so of course I had to see 10,000 BC, now playing at the Palace Theatre. I loved it! I only regret that I did not leave my established notions of history and geography outside of the theatre. This movie jumps around in time almost as much as Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Forget trying to figure it out and just enjoy watching the handsome dread-locked hero on his wild romp to rescue his fellow tribals while making friends, facing down a Saber Toothed Tiger, vanquishing false gods, getting the girl and discovering agriculture along the way. I think you can see from the picture above why D'Leh the Mammoth hunter may have happily switched to a more plant based diet.

I did come home and check a few dates. If you leave the theatre a little confused maybe this will help.

Paleolithic (Stone Age) - 2.6 million years ago to 10,000 BC when agriculture begins
Woolly Mammoths Northern Europe, Northern Eurasia and North America – Extinct around 10,000 BC except for an isolated breed in Alaska that lasted until around 6000 BC
Ancient Nubian Culture – 3700 – 2200 BC
Egyptian Old Kingdom – 2649 – 2150 BC

No comments:

Post a Comment