Sunday, September 9, 2007

Indian Summer

When summer lingers into Autumn we call it Indian summer. School has started and there is a hint of fall in the air but the beach still beckons. By the time summer ends I'm usually ready. I love fall on the Island. I love winter too. My idea of going south for the winter is spending Christmas in Ballard. I love the rain and I love being able to find a parking spot in town. Yet, San Juan Island has always had summer people. For at least 5,000 years the Coast Salish tribes native to this area including the Songhees, Saanich, Lummi and Samish came out to San Juan Island and set up camp for the summer. The fishing was good. There is no denying... summer here is grand.


1 comment:

  1. aaahhhhhh.

    INDIAN SUMMER......

    the time when we have....

    our Island...back.

    when we can....(or could)...
    ...and... no one, was...
    around.

    ....and the fruit is ripe;
    waiting to be 'plucked'.

    ...and the mushrooms are -- ready.

    INDIAN SUMMER...'our time'.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete