Thursday, April 17, 2008

Green Tara, Swift Liberator

Green Tara ~ Painting by Kungchang Lama, Nepal

I have been following the troubles in Tibet and the Dalai Lama's visit to Seattle with great interest partly because I am a Buddhist in the Tibetan tradition myself. Tibetans have suffered horribly in occupied Tibet and as refugees. And yet, these people are unique refugees in what they bring to the rest of the world. I very grateful for the Tibetan teachings that I have had the opportunity to benefit from at our Tibetan Buddhist center right here on San Juan Island. I became a Buddhist in 2002. I took refuge (became a Buddhist) with Lama Jetsun Kushok who took a snip of my hair with special little scissors and gave me the Tibetan name Yeshe Wangmo. How could I resist a wise female Tibetan Lama with an affection for Green Tara. Green Tara is the Female Buddha of wisdom and compassion. Tara was born out of the tears of compassion of the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara. It is said that he wept as he looked upon the world of suffering beings, and his tears formed a lake in which a lotus sprung up. When the lotus opened, the goddess Tara was revealed.

Green Tara Mantra
Om Tara Tuttare Ture Svaha
Om swift one who removes fear, liberator, svaha

Porch of the Sakya Kachod Choling Tibetan Buddhist Center on San Juan Island

No comments:

Post a Comment