Friday, May 16, 2008

Geography Lessons ~ Moldova

It is amazing how ignorant we Americans are when it comes to geography. I include myself in that statement. With an MFA I consider myself well educated in the liberal arts yet this morning I had to ask myself, "Where the heck is Moldova?" My guess was somewhere in the former Soviet Union. But how long ago now did the Soviet Union break up? Isn't it time we got with the program? Moldova is smack dab between the Ukraine and Romania. The not-so-funny joke goes that Americans only learn where other counties are when we invade or bomb them. Why not enjoy the Eurovision Song Contest instead and make that our geography lesson?

Geta Burlacu studied Jazz at the Chisinau Conservatoire in Moldova and opened for the well known Cuban Buena Vista Social Club at the National Theatre in Bucharest, and the Opera in Cluj, Romania. Last year she participated in International Ethno Jazz Festival “Trigon”, in Chisinau and she will be in the first Semi-Final of the Eurovision Song Contest in Belgrade on Tuesday, 20th of May.

Link to: Google Maps Europe

Moldova Eurovision 2008
Geta Burlacu ~ A Century Of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment