Friday, May 2, 2008

What Ever Happened to "Island Time"?

The Relentless Clock in the Heart of Friday Harbor

The other day at work Barbara mentioned a list of 100 things to do in Friday Harbor. I said, “Oh, will you please send that to me. I don’t have enough to do.” Of course, as one of my employers, she knew I was kidding. Like most people who live here I have the required 3 jobs and more than plenty to do. I looked up the list anyway.

#1. Take a deep breath and feel the change in pace... you are now on "Island Time”.

Island time? What the heck ever happened to "Island Time"? I have observed that when volunteers are being sought, people who say “I have to go to the mainland that day” can get out of anything, no questions asked. As I mentioned in previous posts I rarely leave the Island but I will confess I have used the “I have to go to the mainland” or because I'm not a very good liar, "I think I might have to go to the mainland" (which works just as well) excuse just to stay home, unplug everything and dig into some quality “Island Time”.

No comments:

Post a Comment